Monday, August 07, 2017

Mystery Monday: Mary Pinchot Meyer

It's Monday, which means it's time for another...



After John F. Kennedy was assassinated, a photo emerged of a mystery woman. Nicknamed "The Babushka Lady" for her headscarf, the woman is believed to have photographed the assassination before disappearing. She is visible in photographs and videos of the event, but perhaps what was most notable were reports that during the shooting she remained standing, camera in front of her face, as everyone around her took cover.


The Babushka Lady

There has been much speculation as to the Babushka Lady's identity, including one woman who claimed it was her. But one of the most intriguing theories was that the Babushka Lady is Mary Pinchot Meyer, a neighbor and rumored romantic partner of JFK.



But what is most intriguing about Mary Pinchot Meyer isn't that she might have been present at the assassination. It's that she was murdered less than a year later.



Mary Pinchot Meyer was a respected painter living in the Washington, D.C. area. The future POTUS and his wife moved in next door to Mary and her husband in 1954. Although it's unclear what their relationship at the time was, Mary and her husband divorced in 1958 after one of their children was struck by a car and died.


Mary and her husband, Cord Meyer. Image source: Smithsonian Magazine

After her divorce, Mary and her two surviving children moved to Georgetown, where she began her painting career. According to her accounts, her affair with JFK began in 1961, following a visit to the White House.



A month before his assassination, the President wrote a letter to Mary, inviting her to "leave suburbia" and come to see him.



The four-page letter read: "Why don't you leave suburbia for once — come and see me — either here — or at the Cape next week or in Boston the 19th. I know it is unwise, irrational, and that you may hate it — on the other hand you may not — and I will love it. You say that it is good for me not to get what I want. After all of these years — you should give me a more loving answer than that. Why don't you just say yes." It was signed "J." The letter was retained by Kennedy's personal secretary and sold at auction in 2016.



On October 12, 1964, Mary finished a painting and decided to go for her usual morning walk along the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal towpath. A nearby mechanic reported hearing, "Someone help me, someone help me," followed by gunshots. The shooter was never caught. A black man named Ray Crump matched witness descriptions and was apprehended a quarter of a mile from the scene. He was soaking wet.



However, there were things that didn't add up. No traces of blood were found on Ray, despite evidence that Mary had been shot at close range. There was no forensic evidence leading him to the crime. He was acquitted of all charges and to this day, the murder remains unsolved.

Do you think Mary Pinchot Meyer's murder was connected to the JFK assassination?

28 comments:

  1. What's with everyone having an affair? No wonder our values and morals are in the toilet these days.
    I don't think she had anything to do with his assassination, but odd if she didn't duck and cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think she was the Babushka Woman...it was probably the woman who wrote a book about it. But you do have to wonder if her murder was a coincidence. Between her and Chandra Levy, it seems pretty dangerous to exercise in public places in D.C.

      Delete
    2. Alex, I have to jump in here and ask the same question? What's up with all the cheating? Infidelity seems to have become the norm it seems.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. This was one thing I never knew about the Kennedy assassination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only heard it recently. I'm told the Babushka Lady was in the movie JFK, but I haven't seen that in quite a few years.

      Delete
  3. Hi Stephanie - gosh more intrigue ... these things I didn't know ... also I wouldn't be surprised if there was a connection - but we'll never know ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of suspicious things surrounding that assassination that we'll never know the truth about...

      Delete
  4. Motive is so tricky to guess. I doubt their is a correlation with JFK but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You find some of the most interesting, intriguing things to write about. I'd forgotten all about he Babushka Lady. There are still so many theories surrounding President Kennedy's assassination, it's difficult to sort through all of them and and decide what you believe and what you don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never even heard about the Babushka Lady until this case. Although they say she was in the movie JFK. I guess it just flew right out of my brain after seeing that one!

      Delete
  6. I looked at the babushka lady and that is not the woman JFK was
    Having an affair with. Was it the babushka lady who was found dead a year later or the girl JFK was having an affair with? Either way, I do believe there was a coverup and I believe either lady just knew too much. Would love to see the pics the babushka lady took. It seems she was on the sopposite side and would have seen someone from the grassy knoll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lady JFK was having an affair with was dead within a year. Some believe it's the same woman...just included it to let y'all decide what you think!

      Delete
    2. She knew too much. So many died within a year of his assassination that may have known too much

      Delete
  7. Probably not but I guess we'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do find very interesting mysteries, Stephanie. I have no guesses about the answer to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although the police claimed that Chandra Levy was murdered while she was out jogging, it's never made any sense.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting! I have never really heard anything about her. The letter is intriguing, that's for sure. If that was her in Dallas...you wonder what pictures she would have had and why somebody didn't come out with them after she died. That's why I doubt it was her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had heard of the first lady, but didn't know this part of the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Naughty JFK! I don't think the two murders are related, but we'll never know for sure....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a tangled case that assassination and all the stuff surrounding it. JFK did get around. I've heard theories Marilyn Monroe was linked to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. I didn't know about this. I'm going to have to think about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is likely one of those cases that will never be solved. Interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How interesting--I'd never heard about Mary. I'm most intrigued by the letter JFK wrote to her! What a smooth talker. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the murder is related.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never heard of this woman, but it sure seems like JFK was busy outside of politics. I'd love to know what happened to this lady though. Very interesting and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  18. JFK was a brazen sonofabitch, wasn't he? Today he would probably be making booty calls on Twitter.

    The JFK assassination is one of the few crazy conspiracy theories that actually seems to hold some truth, in that the official story is probably not what happened. Mary Pinchot Meyer's murder was _probably_ a coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was somehow connected.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't know anything about this! Very interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. There's so many theories about everything!
    Two things I do know... We will never know the truth and Kennedy was a scum bag with women.

    ReplyDelete